If the copy on your website doesn’t get to the point quickly and clearly, you risk both losing your audience and damaging your brand. Bad writing is bad for business because it clutters your website and dilutes your message. It can also affect your ranking.
Google’s approach to search is clear:
- Deliver reliable and relevant information to users
- Present it in a useful way
- Maximise access to it
And this is where SEO copywriting comes in. Your website copy should provide the best possible information for your audience; it should help them in some way and provide answers to their questions. In other words, people come first, and if the user isn’t happy, Google won’t be either.
What is SEO Copywriting?
SEO copywriters are specialists who can combine technical search engine optimisation techniques with compelling content.
The primary goal of SEO copywriting is always crafting quality content with additional goals flowing naturally once this has been achieved. These include:
- Leading users towards taking a specific action (buying a product or subscribing to a newsletter, for example)
- Helping your website achieve strong organic rankings
- Creating and maintaining a consistent brand voice
- Helping users navigate their way through your website to find the information they need
- Encouraging others to link to your page
It is very difficult to manipulate Google, so while it is still important to have a technical optimisation strategy, engaging, high-quality content is just as important.
How Will an SEO Copywriter Improve Your Content?
People search online for two reasons. These are:
- To find the solution to a problem
- To find the answer to a question
Therefore, the primary goal of your website copy is to provide that solution or deliver that answer.
When you provide users with the information they are looking for, they will stay longer on the page because you are providing value. This establishes trust, which leads to more leads, more revenue and a stronger online presence.
Website Copy Checklist
If you’re not sure whether your website copy is up to scratch, read over your content and see how many of the following you can tick off.
- Easy to read
- Gets straight to the point
- Solves a problem or answers a question
- Powerful headings and call to actions
- Uses SEO keywords naturally
- Contains internal and external links
Of course, a professional copywriter will also ensure your content is free from spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.
Well-written, well-researched copy is a worthwhile investment if you want your website to rank and your customers to stay informed. Get it done right the first time and save yourself a headache down the line. Ask Webics for a quote – we write copy for websites in development as well existing websites that need a new copywriting strategy.