While SEO techniques are always expanding and evolving in line with Google’s updates, the basic principles for SEO success remain the same. This is especially true if you are a small business looking to dominate the local search results. But where does SEO start and where does it end? If you are new to SEO, or not getting the results you want, it’s important to be aware of common SEO mistakes so you can avoid them.
1. Leaving SEO Until your Website is Launched
If you are building a new website or redesigning your old site, don’t wait until launch day before thinking about SEO. If a comprehensive SEO strategy isn’t at the core of your website redesign, you risk losing your existing rankings and traffic. It’s also important to bear in mind that it is rare for a web developer to be an SEO expert. Sure, most understand the basic principles, but a web developer and SEO professional perform very different tasks, and you will need the input of the latter to ensure all the crucial SEO factors are considered.
2. Publishing Non-Original Content
The adverse effects of keyword stuffing are widely known, and this practice has mostly ceased. However, many businesses aren’t aware that their content needs to address the needs of the user in order to produce results. In other words, copying snippets of texts from other sites or rewording large chunks of text that have no relevance to your chosen keywords will not work. You need to invest time in creating original, meaningful text that meets the needs of your target audience. This is the only way Google will identify your content as matching the keyword/s you are optimising for.
3. Hiring The Wrong SEO Company
SEO is not easy, and if you don’t understand how it works, it’s easy to fall for the false promises. If an SEO company makes assurances of front page results, more customers or increased brand awareness without a detailed analysis of your business – run. There are no shortcuts when it comes to SEO, and an experienced SEO consultant will take the time to explain on-page SEO (content, keywords and user experience) off-page SEO (link building and social media marketing) and technical SEO (crawling and indexing).
How To Find The Right SEO Specialist in Nowra
If you don’t have a strong understanding of SEO or don’t have the time to learn, you need to find a local SEO expert. There are plenty of shady SEO companies out there, so to find the best SEO partner for your business, it’s important to do your research and ask the right questions. Always pick up the phone and speak to a person rather than emailing. This will give you a feel for the company and the quality of their work. Here are a few suggestions from our SEO analyst:
Questions to ask the company/salesperson
- Ask for a list of previous clients or check their website. Also, search for the SEO company on local review sites and social media (do previous clients have good things to say?)
- What results can I expect to see? (SEO is a long-term process and can take up to 6 months to see results. Promises of overnight success are lies).
- Do you send out reports? (the best SEO companies will send out monthly reports on organic traffic changes, backlinks and keyword rankings).
- How much time will you spend on my site per month?
Questions to ask the company’s SEO specialist
- What do you think is the best way to improve my current position (a knowledgeable SEO specialist will ask about your business goals and work with you to create a strategy).
- Is link building included in this package? (backlinks from reputable websites make a big difference to rankings).
- What does your link building strategy involve? (be wary of any company who mentions payment or owning a network of sites).
- Ask them how SEO has changed over recent years or what they think could be on the cards (a good SEO analyst will be knowledgeable on this subject and talk confidently about the changeable nature of the industry).
Over the years, Webics has helped hundreds of local and national businesses optimise their websites, and seen positive effects in the form of increased traffic and improved conversion rates. We have a specialist team including a dedicated SEO analyst, content writer, marketing manager and a team of web developers. Get a website quote now.